Saturday, September 24, 2011

A FALL RIDE


In the nearly thirty years that I’ve lived at Cricket Meadow, I had never had the opportunity to ride a horse around the farm until just recently. It was a glorious fall day… the warm sunshine in the bright blue sky felt good on my shoulders and the beauty of fall was all around us: red sumac leaves, yellow goldenrod and cattails swaying in the gentle breeze. It was such fun to explore the meadow, the pasture and the bogs at Cricket Meadow. I rode Wilbur, the big black Friesian and enjoyed the leisurely pace of his gait as we circled the farm, skirting soybean fields and avoiding trampling the corn. We scared up wild turkeys, pheasants and waterfowl. Even a fox darted from the tall grasses near the fence line. Wild grapes hung in clusters just above our heads as we rode the trails in the woods and I made a mental note to come back and pick all I could find for jelly. The apples on the trees were ready to be picked and Wilbur and I took all we could carry or eat. Apple crisp was suddenly on the menu. The herbs in the garden were begging to be picked as we rode back near the house and I realized that I love nothing more than the smell of my kitchen as I dry my herbs and spread that fragrant earthy scent to the entire house.
My ride with Wilbur is one of many I hope to take this fall. It was a highlight and made me remember just why I love living here and enjoying the bounty of the season.
SPICED WILD GRAPE JAM
1-1/2 pounds wild grapes
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 cup water
2-1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
Wash grapes. Cook in a heavy saucepan until skins separate from grapes. Sieve to remove juice and pulp, discarding seeds. Add orange peel and water; cook 10 minutes. Stir in sugar and spices; cook over medium-low heat until thick. Pour into hot scalded jars; seal. Makes about 3 half pint jars.
HERB GARDEN TOMATO SALAD
1 pound cherry tomatoes
1 medium cucumber, peeled, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoom fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup plain yogurt
Fresh ground pepper
Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and herbs in a bowl. Toss with yogurt. Grind pepper over top. Toss and serve immediately.
FALL RIDE APPLE CRISP
4 large apples, peeled (or not) and sliced
2/3 to ¾ cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup butter
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease sides and bottom of an 8 inch square pan. Place apples in bottom of pan. Mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle over apples. Bake about 30 minutes until topping is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve with whipped or ice cream.
PUMPKIN HARVEST BARS
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts mixed with 2 tablespoons flour
Melt butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar and stir until blended. Remove from heat and add all other ingredients, mixing well. Spread into a greased 9 by 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top. Cool and cut into squares.

2 comments:

  1. Stop it. You're making both of us want to live there. :) I love this post mom. I had an "I strongly dislike L.A. day" yesterday, because of the high HIGH heat. But today, it's cool and even a bit rainy. So, we DO get some relief from the beating sun here. :) Still, there's nothing like Cricket Meadow in the fall. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I am having trouble visualizing. i NEED pictures please :)

    ReplyDelete