Sunday, September 18, 2011

BIG SKY SURPRISE


Well, my trip to Montana to visit my son Haakon and his buddies didn’t go quite as I’d planned. I fully intended to drop into their rental house near campus and be a high maintenance visitor, simply so Haakon could experience what I’ve lived all summer. (And miss, I might add).  Anyway, it just wasn’t fun because, even if I had dropped my big shoes in the doorway (as I have been so accustomed living with, thanks to Haak and his friends) the guys wouldn’t have noticed. When I walked in to their apartment, there were 12 pairs of size 12s already parked there. They wouldn’t have seen or even been annoyed by mine. Rats. But I had to admit, at least they are conscious of leaving dirty shoes at the door.
 So, as I meander into the house, peeking into each room, I find that the bathroom is already out of toilet paper; I couldn’t even pretend to leave an empty roll. The towel wasn’t there, either. It was probably lying on a floor somewhere, wet and dirty. Then, as I proceed into the lower level, what to my wondering eyes would appear but a washer and dryer chugging in the basement. They were out of towels because they were washing them! To be completely fair, I was pleasantly surprised at their orderliness, and in spite of spare surroundings, the guys bought themselves a gas grill, lots of groceries and (here Haakon shines with all of his restaurant experience) they actually cook! They boasted of steak dinners, barbequed chicken and steamed rice, vegetables and salads. I was becoming impressed in short order.
I had to chuckle, remembering how both of my daughters managed to furnish cute dorm rooms, apartments and now houses, and contrasting that with the bare-bones decorating that a boy loves. Down to the pickup truck toolbox posing as a coffee table in the living room.
The visit to Montana was especially delightful because all of these boys, no matter what I playfully suggest, are wonderful, mature people, a joy to be around. AND they study!
So, no matter if the household isn’t a tight-run ship, these guys will survive just fine without Mom’s nagging and doting. A little hard to take, but what we all want for our kids just the same.

FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE (OR THE MOST DANGEROUS CAKE RECIPE IN THE WORLD)
4 tablespoons cake flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Add dry ingredients to a large coffee mug. Mix well. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in milk and oil and mix well. Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Mix again. Put mug in microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. Cake will rise over top of mug. Allow to cool slightly and tip out onto a plate. EAT! This can serve two if you want to feel slightly more virtuous. 
NOTE: And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of day or night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment