Friday, March 30, 2018

LAST DANCE IN THE MEADOW


I’ve called many places home for a few months, a season, even a year or two. But I’ve been luckier than most in that I have only had two spots that were truly home for me: the farm where I grew up and Cricket Meadow. I’ve never really moved. When my Mom decided to sell the family farm where I grew up, I took it pretty hard. It was home to me for 40 plus years. Sentiment ran deep and it was the last link to my deceased father and brother Dan. The only thing that made the move less painful was that Mom was moving to HER childhood home. One that had been in the family for generations and where I had spent much of MY childhood. It was comforting to be in familiar surroundings. When she passed away, my brother Tim kept the house and he and my sister-in-law Deb live there now.
I never thought the day would come when I would be leaving Cricket Meadow but here we are. I meant to die here. As it is, after over 60 years, I am no longer a “Meeker County farm girl.” I’m not exactly sure WHAT I am or where I’ll be. I’m truly fortunate to have had Grandma’s and Mom’s Green Lake cottage passed down to me. Maybe I’ll live there.
As the closing draws near, I am facing the daunting task of emptying my house of 40 years, where I raised 3 kids, acquired many heirlooms and collectibles in every nook and cranny. Then there are the barns and outbuildings to go through and pets to place.
I know, when I stop spinning, I’m going to be grateful that I was able to divest myself of much weight and excess. And that I can do this now while I’m able and not leave this overwhelming task to my kids once I’m gone. It will be ever so much more fun to disburse these items myself instead and of them choosing what to keep in a blur of emotion upon my death. Memories that I cherish will remain and those needing purging will be left behind.
I’ve written poems for my house, how it has held and cared for me all these years, odes to the land, memoirs and vignettes of my animals and the precious years spent on this piece of ground. When we first set foot in our new home all those years ago, I placed one hand on my pregnant belly and the other on the fireplace mantel and prayed that the Lord would bless this home, my family and all who entered here. Not so much as a broken bone or accident befell my dear ones and I know, as surely as the Lord watched over all here, He will continue to guide me every so gently, always lovingly.
So, I’m off to a new setting. It will never be Cricket Meadow, there are no greener pastures. But, I’ve loosed my grip. I’m letting go. Farewell, my beloved.
CRICKET MEADOW FAREWELL SCONES
2 cups flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks 1 cup whipping cream, divided
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter in to flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly. Freeze for 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream and pecans stirring until mixture is just moistened. Turn dough out onto waxed paper, shape into a7 inch round. Cut into 8 wedges. Brush top with 2 tablespoons cream. Sprinkle raw sugar over top and bake at 450 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes.
HIT THE ROAD HEALTHY COOKIES 1/2 cup pitted dates

 1 egg
1/4 cup melted coconut oil 1/2 cup applesauce
1-1/2 tablespoons honey 3/4 cup oat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats 1/2 cup cashews, chopped 1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
Place all wet ingredients and dates in food processor and blend until smooth. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Drop dough by spoonful onto baking sheets. Press flat. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
LAST DANCE SANGRIA
1 bottle Sauvignon Blanc
1-1/2 cups St. Germain elder flower liqueur 1/4 cup Cointreau
6 strawberries, sliced 1/4 inch thick
6 raspberries
2 peaches, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 orange, thinly sliced crosswise
1 pound green and red grapes
Ice
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours, or cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve in wine glasses over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment