Friday, March 24, 2017

FARM BLOODED

I went to a women's Ag Seminar recently with my aunt and cousin and, though farming is their life, past, present and future, I found the forum to be fully engaging and fascinating. The first speaker was David Specht, a strategic consultant for family farmers and ranchers who is known as "The Farm Whisperer," which also happens to be the title of his book. His advice addresses how to preserve families while perpetuating farms. Several women shared issues they faced on a daily basis on how to co-exist with grown children to fairly divide labor, define roles, share assets, as well as the debt load, and ensure that perpetuity is possible for the seamless transition of the next generation taking over the family farm.
I couldn't help but reflect on my own situation growing up. Dad and all but one of his brothers were Meeker County farmers. Most had sons who kept the dream alive. Neither me nor any of my girl cousins were considered a viable option upon whom to pass the torch. And, none of us, to be fair, really thought of it either. My Dad expected that my younger brother would be the farmer that would ultimately take over his operation. But, he tragically and suddenly died at age 19. My older brother wanted a career off the farm and got a B.S. in Ag Education. He liked the idea of agriculture, but not the rigors or unpredictability of a livelihood close to the land. My youngest brother never once considered a life in overalls and went on to pursue higher education, as well.  As did I. But, after I was educated and married, though I was the one on the farm with him each day, Dad never, even then, looked at me seriously as a partner. I guess I never pushed the idea. I'm struck by the fact, that now I'm his only child living on a farm, tending animals and watching corn grow, planted and harvested by my cousin's sons. It all worked out, in a roundabout way.
I'm more than grateful to be living an agrarian life, one where, though it pales in comparison to REAL farmers, I can hold my own when discussing livestock, prices, forecasts and just when to bale that second cutting.
Yup, I'm a wanna-be. But, no matter. It connects me to a heritage that runs deep in the veins around here, ties me to people whose voices echo around every bend in the road, as I breathe deeply of the atmosphere shared by years of blood, sweat and tears lived, and lived well, at the end of my old dirt road.

END OF THE ROAD FARM HOTDISH

1-1/2 pounds hamburger
3 slices bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups cubed potatoes
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can lima beans, drained
2 cans tomato sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
Shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, brown hamburger with bacon, onion and salt and pepper. In a medium saucepan, parboil potatoes and celery until almost done. Stir meat mixture and vegetables together. Add beans, tomato sauce and sugar. Pour into a large casserole. Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until bubbly.

FARM GARDEN CUCUMBER SALAD

4 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced
3 green onions, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup sugar
4 teaspoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
Salt to taste, if desired

Prepare cucumbers and onions and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, dill and salt, if used. Mix well. Add cucumbers and onion and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with more dill weed sprinkled over top.

FARM-STYLE VANILLA PIE

3 cups plus 1/2 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 tablespoon butter

In a heavy saucepan, scald 3 cups milk. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in eggs and 1/2 cup milk. Gradually stir into hot milk, keep stirring until boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into a baked 9 inch pie crust. When cool, 

No comments:

Post a Comment