Sunday, June 1, 2014

THE OLD DIRT ROAD


On any given June afternoon, I can conjure a memory of life as we knew it back on the farm, living at the end of a dusty gravel road. Before blacktop was the norm for rural Meeker County farm families, most of us lived with dirty cars, dusty houses and messy roads in inclement weather. We lived on a relatively quiet road but, off and on, there were passing vehicles like milk trucks, tractors pulling machinery, the mailman, the gas truck and neighbors  that would pass our farm. We always knew when someone was coming by the cloud of dust whirling down the road. Even a mile away, we could spot the brown tornado behind whatever vehicle was heading toward us. When the car or truck would whoosh by the driveway, we could hear rocks spraying the ditch and pelting the mailbox. If the driver was coming to our farm, often the brakes would squeal and dust would surround the car as it turned into our lane. Dust, like a smoke signal, was something we relied on to stay connected to our neighborhood.
When I was 11, I first learned to drive our 1966 Rambler. Sometimes Mom would let me bring Dad a message or afternoon lunch on our field road that ran on the west side of our farm. I was thrilled at the chance to get behind the wheel and create some dust of my own. One time, I remember that I buried the needle as I roared out to the West 40 (our 40 acres west of the farm). Fortunately, there weren’t  too many officers of the law on the Kandi-Meeker Road back in those days. Dad saw me barreling down the road and asked me if I wanted to walk back. He wasn’t too pleased with my practice run. There again, dust told the tale. I couldn’t even fib my way out of it. The proof was in the brown cloud. Dad ate his lunch, sharing his sandwich and cookies with me, giving him a good opportunity for a lecture. I never did it again. (Around him).
One time, I drove to the lake with my mom coaching me from her position in the middle of the front seat. I got a little close to the ditch and our plate of still-warm-from-the-oven bars flipped off the back seat onto the floor when she jerked the steering wheel, bringing us back onto the gravel road. (I really am a good driver and have yet to have an accident). And a little dust in the bars didn’t hurt anything.
Every now and then, someone will ask me why we don’t blacktop our driveway, despite the obvious fact of it being a half  mile long. I wouldn’t  consider it, even if it was shorter.  The dirt road gives a rural feel  I am deeply attached to and the dust following the traffic as it turns into our drive reminds me of that old gravel road back home.
SUMMER DAYS SLUSH
12 ounce can frozen orange juice
12 ounce can frozen lemonade
1/2 cup sugar
18 ounces water
46 ounces pineapple juice
Combine all ingredients in a large container. Freeze overnight. Allow to thaw for 30 minutes before serving. Fill glasses 3/4 full of slush and pour 7-up or ginger ale over top of each serving. Garnish glasses with a pineapple chunk and a slice of lime.
LUNCHBOX SOUR CREAM COOKIES
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, salt and soda. Stir in sour cream. Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. When cool, frost tops of cookies with Brown Sugar Frosting.
BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons water
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream
In a small saucepan, boil together brown sugar, butter and water for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar. Smooth with cream. Frost cookie tops.
 FIELD ROAD ROCKS
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup raisins and chopped dates
1 cup walnuts, chopped
In a large mixing bowl,  cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Stir well. Blend in dry ingredients. Stir in buttermilk. Add raisins, dates and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to  15 minutes, until  set.
DUMP BARS
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup cocoa
1-1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Grease a 9 by 13 inch cake pan. Dump all ingredients, except chocolate chips and nuts, into a mixing bowl. Stir well. Spread into pan. Sprinkle batter with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment